US Particle Accelerators Turn Nuclear Waste Into Electricity, Cut Radioactive Life By 99.7%

Researchers at the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility are advancing Accelerator-Driven Systems (ADS) that use high-energy proton beams to transmute long-lived nuclear waste into shorter-lived isotopes. “The process also generates significant heat, which can be harnessed to produce additional electricity for the grid,” reports Interesting Engineering. The projects are supported by $8.17 million in grants from the Department of Energy’s NEWTON (Nuclear Energy Waste Transmutation Optimized Now) program. From the report: The researchers are developing ADS technology. This system uses a particle accelerator to fire high-energy protons at a target (such as liquid mercury), triggering a process called “spallation.” This releases a flood of neutrons that interact with unwanted, long-lived isotopes in nuclear waste. The technology can effectively “burn” the most hazardous components of the waste by transmuting these elements. While unprocessed fuel remains dangerous for approximately 100,000 years, partitioning and recycling via ADS can reduce that window to just 300 years. […]

To make ADS economically viability, Jefferson Lab is tackling two primary technical hurdles: efficiency and power. Traditional particle accelerators require massive, expensive cryogenic cooling systems to reach superconducting temperatures. Jefferson Lab is pioneering a more cost-effective approach by coating the interior of pure niobium cavities with tin. These niobium-tin cavities can operate at higher temperatures, allowing for the use of standard commercial cooling units rather than custom, large-scale cryogenic plants. The team is also developing spoke cavities, which is a complex design intended to drive even higher efficiency in neutron spallation.

The second project focuses on the power source behind the beam. Researchers are adapting the magnetron — the same component that powers microwave ovens — to provide the 10 megawatts of power required for ADS. The primary challenge is that the energy frequency must match the accelerator cavity precisely at 805 Megahertz. In collaboration with Stellant Systems, researchers are prototyping advanced magnetrons that can be combined to reach the necessary high-power thresholds with maximum efficiency. The NEWTON program aims to enable the recycling of the entire US commercial nuclear fuel stockpile within the next 30 years.


Read more of this story at Slashdot.

NASA Eyes March 6 To Launch 4 Astronauts To the Moon On Artemis II Mission

An anonymous reader quotes a report from NPR: NASA could launch four astronauts on a mission to fly around the moon as soon as March 6th. That’s the launch date (PDF) that the space agency is now working towards following a successful test fueling of its big, 322-foot-tall moon rocket, which is standing on a launch pad at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

“This is really getting real,” says Lori Glaze, acting associate administrator of NASA’s exploration systems development mission directorate. “It’s time to get serious and start getting excited.” But she cautioned that there’s still some pending work that remains to be done out at the launch pad, and officials will have to conduct a multi-day flight readiness review late next week to make sure that every aspect of the mission is truly ready to go. “We need to successfully navigate all of those, but assuming that happens, it puts us in a very good position to target March 6th,” she says, noting that the flight readiness review will be “extensive and detailed.” […]

When NASA workers first tested out fueling the rocket earlier this month, they encountered problems like a liquid hydrogen leak. Swapping out some seals and other work seems to have fixed these issues, according to officials who say that the latest countdown dress rehearsal went smoothly, despite glitches such as a loss of ground communications in the Launch Control Center that forced workers to temporarily use backups.


Read more of this story at Slashdot.

Pinterest Is Drowning in a Sea of AI Slop and Auto-Moderation

Users say Pinterest has become flooded with AI-generated images and heavy-handed automated moderation, with artists reporting wrongful takedowns and their hand-drawn work mislabeled as “AI modified.” As the company doubles down on AI features and layoffs, longtime users argue the platform’s creative ecosystem is being undermined. 404 Media reports: “I feel like, increasingly, it’s impossible to talk to a single human [at Pinterest],” artist and Pinterest user Tiana Oreglia told 404 Media. “Along with being filled with AI images that have been completely ruining the platform, Pinterest has implemented terrible AI moderation that the community is up in arms about. It’s banning people randomly and I keep getting takedown notices for pins.” […]

r/Pinterest is awash in users complaining about AI-related issues on the site. “Pinterest keeps automatically adding the ‘AI modified’ tag to my Pins… every time I appeal, Pinterest reviews it and removes the AI label. But then… the same thing happens again on new Pins and new artwork. So I’m stuck in this endless loop of appealing, label removed, new Pin gets tagged again,” read a post on r/Pinterest. The redditor told 404 Media that this has happened three times so far and it takes between 24 to 48 hours to sort out. “I actively promote my work as 100% hand-drawn and ‘no AI,'” they said. “On Etsy, I clearly position my brand around original illustration. So when a Pinterest Pin is labeled ‘Hand Drawn’ but simultaneously marked as ‘AI modified,’ it creates confusion and undermines that positioning.”

Artist Min Zakuga told 404 Media that they’ve seen a lot of their art on Pinterest get labeled as “AI modified” despite being older than image generation tech. “There is no way to take their auto-labeling off, other than going through a horribly long process where you have to prove it was not AI, which still may get rejected,” she said. “Even artwork from 10-13 years ago will still be labeled by Pinterest as AI, with them knowing full well something from 10 years ago could not possibly be AI.” Other users are tired of seeing a constant flood of AI-generated art in their feeds. “I can’t even scroll through 100 pins without 95 out of them being some AI slop or theft, let alone very talented artists tend to be sucked down and are being unrecognized by the sheer amount of it,” said another post. “I don’t want to triple check my sources every single time I look at a pin, but I refuse to use any of that soulless garbage. However, Pinterest has been infested. Made obsolete.”


Read more of this story at Slashdot.

KDE Plasma 6.7 Preps More Improvements While Plasma 6.6.1 Fixes Begin Accumulating

This week marked the release of KDE’s Plasma 6.6 desktop as a very successful release that overall is in very robust shape and performing well. While Plasma 6.6 overall is in great shape, there are various bugs – including crash fixes – that have already been queued for the upcoming Plasma 6.6.1. KDE developers are also quite busy on the trek toward Plasma 6.7…

Meta’s Metaverse Leaves Virtual Reality

Meta is pivoting Horizon Worlds away from its original VR-centric metaverse vision and toward a mobile-first strategy, “explicitly separating” its Quest VR platform from the virtual world. TechCrunch reports: By going mobile-first, Horizon Worlds is positioning itself to compete with popular platforms like Roblox and Fortnite. “We’re in a strong position to deliver synchronous social games at scale, thanks to our unique ability to connect those games with billions of people on the world’s biggest social networks,” Samantha Ryan, Reality Labs’ VP of content, said in the blog post. “You saw this strategy start to unfold in 2025, and now, it’s our main focus.” Ryan went on to note that Meta is still focused on VR hardware. “We have a robust roadmap of future VR headsets that will be tailored to different audience segments as the market grows and matures,” Ryan wrote.


Read more of this story at Slashdot.

Cyber Stocks Slide As Anthropic Unveils ‘Claude Code Security’

An anonymous reader quotes a report from Bloomberg: Shares of cybersecurity software companies tumbled Friday after Anthropic PBC introduced a new security feature into its Claude AI model. Crowdstrike Holdings was the among the biggest decliners, falling as much as 6.5%, while Cloudflare slumped more than 6%. Meanwhile, Zscaler dropped 3.5%, SailPoint shed 6.8%, and Okta declined 5.7%. The Global X Cybersecurity ETF fell as much as 3.8%, extending its losses on the year to 14%.

Anthropic said the new tool will “scans codebases for security vulnerabilities and suggests targeted software patches for human review.” The firm said the update is available in a limited research preview for now.


Read more of this story at Slashdot.

NASA reports no significant leaks in Artemis II fueling test, eyes March 6 launch

A second fueling test on NASA’s Space Launch System rocket ended Thursday night, giving senior managers enough confidence to move forward with plans to launch four astronauts around the Moon as soon as March 6.

Unlike the first attempt to load propellants into the SLS rocket on February 2, there were no major leaks during Thursday’s practice countdown at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Technicians swapped seals at the launch pad after hydrogen gas leaked from the rocket’s main fueling line earlier this month. This time, the seals held.

“For the most part, those fixes all performed pretty well yesterday,” said Lori Glaze, acting associate administrator for NASA’s exploration programs. “We were able to fully fuel the SLS rocket within the planned timeline.”

Read full article

Comments

Microsoft gaming chief Phil Spencer steps down after 38 years with company

Microsoft Executive Vice President for Gaming Phil Spencer announced he will retire after 38 years at Microsoft and 12 years leading the company’s video game efforts. Asha Sharma, an executive currently in charge of Microsoft’s CoreAI division, will take his place.

Xbox President Sarah Bond, who many assumed was being groomed as Spencer’s eventual replacement, is also resigning from the company. Current Xbox Studios Head Matt Booty, meanwhile, is being promoted to Executive Vice President and Chief Content Officer and will work closely with Sharma.

In his departure note, Spencer said he told Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella last fall that he was “thinking about stepping back and starting the next chapter of my life.” Spencer will remain at Microsoft “in an advisory role” through the summer to help Sharma during the transition, he wrote.

Read full article

Comments

Goldman Sachs Launches AI-Free Index

Goldman Sachs has launched an “S&P ex-AI” index (SPXXAI) that tracks the S&P 500 stocks not related to AI, offering investors a way to “hedge their exposure to the AI trade,” reports Axios. From the report: “Excluding ‘AI enablers’ from the passive benchmark would eliminate the noise introduced by the AI hype,” Louis Miller, head of the firm’s equity custom basket desk, wrote in a note to clients about the new index.

The ex-AI index is a compilation of all the stocks in the S&P 500 that are not related to AI, also referred to as old-economy stocks.
It’s available exclusively to Goldman customers, created in collaboration with S&P Dow Jones Indices.

Taking all the AI out of the S&P doesn’t leave much behind, as AI companies make up ~45% of the index, according to the note. Over the last three years, the S&P 500 is up 76%. The ex-AI index is only up 32% in that same time period.


Read more of this story at Slashdot.

MAHA moms threaten to turn this car around as RFK Jr. flips on pesticide

Members of the Make America Health Again movement are in open revolt after founder Robert F. Kennedy Jr. publicly backed President Trump’s executive order Wednesday that would increase domestic production of glyphosate—a pesticide the MAHA movement and Kennedy have railed against.

Vani Hari, an ally of Kennedy who goes by “Food Babe,” told The Washington Post she was left “speechless” by the move.

“We truly were hoping that this administration would put people over corporate power,” she said, “but this action moves us away from that commitment.”

Read full article

Comments

Fury over Discord’s age checks explodes after shady Persona test in UK

Shortly after Discord announced that all users will soon be defaulted to teen experiences until their ages are verified, the messaging platform faced immediate backlash.

One of the major complaints was that Discord planned to collect more government IDs as part of its global age verification process. It shocked many that Discord would be so bold so soon after a third-party breach of a former age check partner’s services recently exposed 70,000 Discord users’ government IDs.

Attempting to reassure users, Discord claimed that most users wouldn’t have to show ID, instead relying on video selfies using AI to estimate ages, which raised separate privacy concerns. In the future, perhaps behavioral signals would override the need for age checks for most users, Discord suggested, seemingly downplaying the risk that sensitive data would be improperly stored.

Read full article

Comments

ESP32 Bus Pirate Update Adds RF Tools, USB Host Mode, Signal Analysis, and Cellular Plans

The ESP32 Bus Pirate project, originally introduced as a modern ESP32-S3 adaptation of the classic Bus Pirate debugging tool, has received a substantial update expanding its protocol support, signal analysis capabilities, and RF experimentation features. The original Bus Pirate is an open-source hardware tool widely used for communicating with and debugging embedded systems over interfaces […]

FCC asks stations for “pro-America” programming, like daily Pledge of Allegiance

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Brendan Carr today urged broadcasters to join a “Pledge America Campaign” that Carr established to support President Trump’s “Salute to America 250” project.

Carr said in a press release that “I am inviting broadcasters to pledge to air programming in their local markets in support of this historic national, non-partisan celebration.” The press release said Carr is asking broadcasters to “air patriotic, pro-America programming in support of America’s 250th birthday.”

Carr gave what he called examples of content that broadcasters can run if they take the pledge. His examples include “starting each broadcast day with the ‘Star Spangled Banner’ or Pledge of Allegiance”; airing “PSAs, short segments, or full specials specifically promoting civic education, inspiring local stories, and American history”; running “segments during regular news programming that highlight local sites that are significant to American and regional history, such as National Park Service sites”; airing “music by America’s greatest composers, such as John Philip Sousa, Aaron Copland, Duke Ellington, and George Gershwin”; and providing daily “Today in American History” announcements highlighting significant events from US history.

Read full article

Comments

Blackgate Welcomes In ‘Fresh Meat’ with Alien Free Play Weekend

You can play the 4v1 zero-gravity survival horror game Blackgate as the paywalled alien for free right now until Monday.

Blackgate, heavily inspired by Dead By Daylight and Echo Arena, pits four engineers against one alien for survival. Engineers fly around the space station repairing systems and unlocking an armory full of weapons to incapacitate the alien before it gets to them all. The game is free to play for engineers with an additional $19.99 purchase required to play as the alien.

We played the game in Early Access, noting “it’s a game attuned to and takes advantage of VR… Fully immersed in that world, the sense of dread you feel even when other people are nearby is wonderfully achieved.” However, the limitations of its host-driven online play made it difficult to finish matches.

BlackGate Is A Tense VR Multiplayer Survival Horror With One Major Flaw
BlackGate has potential with its tense survival horror multiplayer, though its early access launch is difficult to currently recommend.
UploadVRAlicia Haddick

For the free to play weekend, starting right now and ending at 10am EST on Monday, the paywalled alien character is free for all players. Developer Megaverse, an original IP division of Fun Train, says it is running this event as a thank you for a recent influx of new players.

In a developer post about its other horror title, The Exorcist Legion VR, undergoing a name change, Fun Train noted a monthly active player base of seventy-five thousand players as of January.

0:00

/1:18

Blackgate is available on Quest headsets. A PC VR version has been announced with no release date as of yet.

Phil Spencer Retiring After 38 Years At Microsoft

Xbox chief and Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer is leaving Microsoft after nearly 40 years at the company. “Meanwhile, Xbox President Sarah Bond, “long thought by many both inside and outside of Microsoft to be Spencer’s heir apparent, has resigned,” reports IGN. From the report: The new CEO of Microsoft Gaming will be Asha Sharma, currently the President of Microsoft’s CoreAI product. Finally, Xbox Game Studios head Matt Booty is being promoted to Chief Content Officer and will work closely with Sharma. “I want to thank Phil for his extraordinary leadership and partnership,” Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella said in an email sent to Microsoft staff. “Over 38 years at Microsoft, including 12 years leading Gaming, Phil helped transform what we do and how we do it.” […]

Spencer was named Head of Xbox in March of 2014, when he was tasked with righting a ship that had made a number of product choices and policy decisions that rubbed core gamers the wrong way in the run-up to the launch of the Xbox One in Fall 2013. Long hailed by gamers as being one of their own, Spencer could frequently be found on Xbox Live, playing games regularly with fellow Xbox gamers and racking up a healthy Gamerscore. His first major move when put in charge was decoupling the Kinect 2.0 peripheral from the Xbox One package, thus immediately reducing the new console’s price by $100 to $399, matching the day-one price of Sony’s PlayStation 4. He spearheaded the much-heralded backwards compatibility movement within Xbox, the Xbox Game Pass service was born under his watch, and accessibility made major advances during his tenure in both hardware and software. Xbox Play Anywhere, which sought to let gamers play their Xbox games on any device, be it a PC, console, or handheld, isn’t new but has been a big recent focal point.

Spencer’s time running Xbox will perhaps be most remembered for Microsoft’s $69 billion acquisition of Activision-Blizzard-King in 2022, which took almost two years to achieve regulatory approval from various agencies around the world. But Spencer began trying to solve for Xbox’s dearth of first-party games in 2018, when the first wave of studio acquisitions occurred. Prior to the Activision deal, Spencer’s biggest move came with the $7.5 billion acquisition of ZeniMax, parent company of Bethesda, in 2020. The deal gave Xbox total ownership of Bethesda Game Studios and its Fallout and Elder Scrolls franchises along with id Software and its Doom and Quake IPs, among many others. Questions arose from there about whether or not that meant all of Xbox’s new studios would produce games exclusively for Xbox consoles, and while some games were kept off of PlayStation platforms temporarily, many weren’t and most now seem to come to PS5 eventually, if not on day one.


Read more of this story at Slashdot.